Quote for Reflection: "Emotional maturity is the ability to keep moving forward despite discouragements." (John Arthur
Hopelessness is a deeply human experience. How we respond to it reveals our emotional maturity.
There are moments in life when hope seems distant. Prayers appear unanswered, efforts seem unfruitful, and challenges linger longer than expected.
During such seasons, people may experience hopelessness. It is the feeling that things will never improve, that your struggles are endless, or that your dreams are slipping away.
Everyone encounters disappointment at some point. A friendship may break down despite your efforts. A career opportunity may disappear unexpectedly. A personal goal may take longer to achieve than you imagined.
These experiences can make even strong individuals feel discouraged. If you want to be emotionally mature, you have to understand that feelings are real, but they are not always reliable indicators of reality.
5 WAYS TO GROW IN EMOTIONAL MATURITY
There are moments in life when hope seems distant. Prayers appear unanswered, efforts seem unfruitful, and challenges linger longer than expected.
During such seasons, people may experience hopelessness. It is the feeling that things will never improve, that your struggles are endless, or that your dreams are slipping away.
Everyone encounters disappointment at some point. A friendship may break down despite your efforts. A career opportunity may disappear unexpectedly. A personal goal may take longer to achieve than you imagined.
These experiences can make even strong individuals feel discouraged. If you want to be emotionally mature, you have to understand that feelings are real, but they are not always reliable indicators of reality.
5 WAYS TO GROW IN EMOTIONAL MATURITY
Feeling hopeless does not mean there is no hope. To become emotionally mature during hopeless situations, consider the following
1. RECOGNIZE Your Feelings, But Don't Surrender to Them
The first step in handling hopelessness maturely is acknowledging it honestly. Pretending you are fine when you are struggling does not make the struggle disappear.
When you are working towards emotional maturity, you should be able to say, “I feel discouraged,” without concluding, “Everything is hopeless.”
Many people confuse emotions with facts. Because they feel hopeless, they assume there is no hope. But feelings change, while truth often remains. Learn to recognize your emotions without allowing those emotions to become your identity or worldview.
Emotions are real, but they are not the whole of who you are. What you feel in a moment may be important, but it should not define your entire identity or determine how you see everything around you.
You may feel hurt, but you are not hurt itself. You may feel afraid, but fear is not your identity. You may feel discouraged, but discouragement does not define your future.
Emotions are experiences to be understood, not masters to be obeyed. Don't become a slave to your feelings, or you may destroy your life. Don't become your own enemy.
Let me share with you something that happened to me between 2014 and 2017. I went through three years of unsuccessful attempts to publish my book.
When I tried to publish my first book, I faced rejection after rejection. One publisher looked at my manuscript and told me to abandon the idea of publishing books on FRIENDSHIP because “Nobody will buy a Christian-centred book.”
According to him, people hear preaching in church, so they would not bother reading a faith-based book trying to address social issues. He advised me to write academic books instead; books like English, Mathematics, or Science books. His words were discouraging.
I had travelled for two hours just to get to his office, only to be discouraged. But one thing I did was that I refused to let his words bury my calling. I am grateful to God that I was able to do that.
Although I felt discouraged, I did not allow that discouragement to make me abandon what I carried. If I had allowed that discouragement to master me, I am not sure this platform would have been created.
You see, you have to be careful not to build your worldview around temporary emotions. When emotions become your worldview, every situation is interpreted through the lens of how you feel rather than through wisdom, truth, and reality.
A passing feeling can become a permanent perspective if it is left unexamined. Acknowledge your emotions. Learn from them. Express them appropriately. But do not allow them to become the foundation of your identity.
You see, you have to be careful not to build your worldview around temporary emotions. When emotions become your worldview, every situation is interpreted through the lens of how you feel rather than through wisdom, truth, and reality.
A passing feeling can become a permanent perspective if it is left unexamined. Acknowledge your emotions. Learn from them. Express them appropriately. But do not allow them to become the foundation of your identity.
2. REFUSE to Isolate Yourself
One of the greatest dangers of hopelessness is isolation. People often withdraw from friendships, family, mentors, and supportive communities when they feel discouraged.
They believe nobody understands them or that they must carry their burdens alone. It is normal to go through such moments. But one thing you have to remember is that isolation often deepens hopelessness.
Trusted relationships provide perspective, encouragement, and support during difficult seasons. Sometimes a conversation cannot solve your problem, but it can remind you that you are not facing it alone.
When I was going through that period in my life when I was unable to find anyone to help me publish my books, one of the things I did was that I started calling my friends; especially those I knew could potentially be of help to me.
I didn't keep my situation to myself. I didn't isolate myself from everyone around me. I reached out. So what happened was this: After three years of unsuccessful attempts, I shared my frustration with a close friend, Dr. Stanley Hughes-Obresi, who was, at that time, a student at the University of Ghana, Legon.
After listening to me, he didn't just give advice; he took action. That action changed my life. Instantly, he made a phone call to Mr. Andrews of AS-8 Media in Kumasi, who agreed to print my books and allow me to pay later.
That single phone call turned everything around for me. It became my breakthrough into publishing. Dr. Stanley stepped in when my assignment was threatened. Through his help, I published my first book, Who Is Your Friend?
One of the greatest dangers of hopelessness is isolation. People often withdraw from friendships, family, mentors, and supportive communities when they feel discouraged.
They believe nobody understands them or that they must carry their burdens alone. It is normal to go through such moments. But one thing you have to remember is that isolation often deepens hopelessness.
Trusted relationships provide perspective, encouragement, and support during difficult seasons. Sometimes a conversation cannot solve your problem, but it can remind you that you are not facing it alone.
When I was going through that period in my life when I was unable to find anyone to help me publish my books, one of the things I did was that I started calling my friends; especially those I knew could potentially be of help to me.
I didn't keep my situation to myself. I didn't isolate myself from everyone around me. I reached out. So what happened was this: After three years of unsuccessful attempts, I shared my frustration with a close friend, Dr. Stanley Hughes-Obresi, who was, at that time, a student at the University of Ghana, Legon.
After listening to me, he didn't just give advice; he took action. That action changed my life. Instantly, he made a phone call to Mr. Andrews of AS-8 Media in Kumasi, who agreed to print my books and allow me to pay later.
That single phone call turned everything around for me. It became my breakthrough into publishing. Dr. Stanley stepped in when my assignment was threatened. Through his help, I published my first book, Who Is Your Friend?
And today, by God's grace, I have authored and published more than ten books, with thousands of copies in circulation across the world.
But all of this started because I did not allow my three years of discouragement, hopelessness, and setbacks to shut me down from pursuing my goal. And most importantly, I was able to reach out instead of isolating myself from everyone.
Hope often grows in the presence of supportive people. While hope begins within, it is often strengthened by the people around us.
Supportive people remind us of possibilities when we are focused on problems. They help us see light when circumstances appear dark. Be intentional about surrounding yourself with people who encourage growth, wisdom, and perseverance.
Likewise, strive to be a source of hope to others. Your presence, words, and actions may provide the encouragement someone needs to keep moving forward.
Remember this: Never laugh at anyone's dream. If you don't understand someone's dream, it is better to pray for them than to criticise, tease, or discourage them.
Supportive people remind us of possibilities when we are focused on problems. They help us see light when circumstances appear dark. Be intentional about surrounding yourself with people who encourage growth, wisdom, and perseverance.
Likewise, strive to be a source of hope to others. Your presence, words, and actions may provide the encouragement someone needs to keep moving forward.
Remember this: Never laugh at anyone's dream. If you don't understand someone's dream, it is better to pray for them than to criticise, tease, or discourage them.
3. REMAIN Focused on the Next Step, Not the Entire Journey
Hopelessness often develops when people become overwhelmed by the size of their challenges. They focus so much on the distance remaining that they lose sight of the progress they can still make today.
You do not need to solve everything at once. Just focus on the next right step. Small actions taken consistently often accomplish more than worrying about the entire journey.
Progress is usually built one step at a time. Most meaningful achievements are not the result of one giant leap. Many times, they are a collection of many small and consistent steps taken over time.
People often admire the outcome without seeing the process that produced it. Growth is usually gradual. Improvement is often incremental.
Success is frequently the accumulation of daily effort. Do not despise small beginnings or underestimate small actions. Every step forward, no matter how small, contributes to a larger destination.
4. REMEMBER Previous Victories
Emotional maturity requires remembering past victories and lessons. Looking back reminds you that you have survived difficult seasons before.
Hopelessness often develops when people become overwhelmed by the size of their challenges. They focus so much on the distance remaining that they lose sight of the progress they can still make today.
You do not need to solve everything at once. Just focus on the next right step. Small actions taken consistently often accomplish more than worrying about the entire journey.
Progress is usually built one step at a time. Most meaningful achievements are not the result of one giant leap. Many times, they are a collection of many small and consistent steps taken over time.
People often admire the outcome without seeing the process that produced it. Growth is usually gradual. Improvement is often incremental.
Success is frequently the accumulation of daily effort. Do not despise small beginnings or underestimate small actions. Every step forward, no matter how small, contributes to a larger destination.
4. REMEMBER Previous Victories
When people feel hopeless, they often forget the challenges they have already overcome. Discouragement narrows perspective and makes current problems appear larger than they really are.
Emotional maturity requires remembering past victories and lessons. Looking back reminds you that you have survived difficult seasons before.
The same resilience, wisdom, and strength that helped you then can help you now. Past victories become evidence that present challenges are not impossible.
When you feel like giving up, remind yourself: “I have come through difficult seasons before.” “I have survived things I once thought I could not survive.” “If God helped me then, He can help me now.” Your history with God can become a source of strength for your present situation.
When you feel like giving up, remind yourself: “I have come through difficult seasons before.” “I have survived things I once thought I could not survive.” “If God helped me then, He can help me now.” Your history with God can become a source of strength for your present situation.
5. REST in God's Promises
For believers, hope is not built only on circumstances but also on faith. There will be moments when human solutions seem limited and emotions feel heavy.
During those times, God's promises provide stability and strength. The Bible repeatedly reminds us that difficult seasons do not last forever.
Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you... plans to give you hope and a future." This promise reminds us that even when we cannot see the way forward, God is still at work.
Emotionally mature individuals learn to anchor their hearts in God's faithfulness rather than in their circumstances alone. Faith does not always remove challenges immediately, but it provides strength to endure them with hope.
When circumstances shake your confidence, let God's promises steady your heart. Choose one encouraging Scripture and meditate on it throughout the week whenever discouragement arises.
Romans 15:13 says, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope." Do not allow temporary discouragement to become permanent hopelessness.
Hold on. Keep growing. Keep believing. The tides will turn. God bless you so much for having me. In case you have any questions about the above, feel free to ask.
Kind regards,
JOHN ARTHUR.
Author & President.
Check the following links to buy copies of my books.
1. The Friendship Of Samson And Delilah: Why You Should Avoid Bad Friends
2. The Friendship Of David And Jonathan: Why You Should Have True Friends
3. BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND: How To Love Yourself And Fulfill Your Purpose
4. Dating And Friendship: A New Model For A Lasting Love Relationship
5. BECOMING TRUE FRIENDS IN A TURBULENT WORLD (Friendship Today - Vol. 1)
6. CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS, DON'T LET YOUR FRIENDS CHOOSE YOU
7. Beware Of Bad Friends






