Purpose is mostly discovered through exploration, movement, and adventuring, not just waiting and hoping that one day you will discover your purpose. No. There has to be an investment in effort.
God often reveals our purpose as we move, serve, learn, and obey. Many people expect purpose to appear as a single dramatic revelation, but more often it unfolds through experiences, opportunities, and faithful service.
You Are Not Limited To One Ability. (Write this in your diary or somewhere you won't forget)
God has placed within you a unique combination of gifts, passions, experiences, and potential, all designed to fulfill the purpose for which He created you.
Because you are created in His image (Genesis 1:27), you reflect His creativity and carry possibilities that may remain hidden until you step out in faith.
To discover your purpose, resist the temptation to remain in your comfort zone or allow fear of failure to hold you back.
Instead, embrace a spirit of curiosity, growth, and service. Every opportunity to serve is an opportunity to discover more about yourself and God's assignment for your life.
LEONARDO DA VINCI (1452–1519)
Leonardo da Vinci is widely regarded as one of the greatest geniuses.
He is called a polymath, meaning someone who develops expertise in many different fields rather than specializing in just one.
This man went on to become:
• A painter
• An inventor
• An engineer
• A scientist
• An anatomist
• An architect
• A musician
• A mathematician
• A writer
One of his best paintings of all time is The Lord's Supper.
Leonardo da Vinci's life helps us to know that exploring different talents, while remaining disciplined and committed, can lead to extraordinary impact.
Leonardo is best known in history as a painter. But his art benefited from his knowledge of anatomy, engineering, mathematics, and nature.
His greatest achievements came from combining multiple talents, not from developing just one. He used his gifts together and, by extension, fulfilled his purpose.
KEEP EXPLORING
Maybe you're exploring a gift or learning a skill that doesn't seem to make sense today. Don't give up.
What you're exploring today may appear unrelated to your future, but five years from now, you may discover that it perfectly complements one of your greatest gifts or opportunities.
When those gifts and experiences come together, they will help you discover your purpose more fully and fulfill it more effectively.
Never underestimate the value of what you are learning today. Every skill, every experience, and every season of exploration may become an important piece of the purpose God is preparing you to fulfill tomorrow.
5 "S"S FOR DISCOVERING PURPOSE THROUGH EXPLORATION
We're going to look at 5 Great Ways to discover purpose through exploration. Each of these ways begins with the letter S so we can easily remember them and apply them.
So, let's look at the 5 "S"s for Discovering Purpose through Exploration.
1. STEPPING OUT – Avoid Comfort; Do What You Believe
The Bible says, "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only..." (James 1:22). Purpose is rarely discovered within the boundaries of comfort.
Remaining in familiar surroundings, routines, and responsibilities may keep you safe, but it can also keep your potential hidden.
Many people never discover what they are capable of because they never attempt what they believe God has placed in their hearts.
Sometimes too, it can be fear of the unknown. But step out anyway. Don't be afraid. No second guessing. Move. Stepping out means acting on your convictions even when the outcome is uncertain.
It means accepting opportunities, taking calculated risks, and refusing to let fear of failure dictate your decisions.
Faith is demonstrated through action. Every courageous step you take creates an opportunity for God to reveal more of His purpose for your life.
HOW I OVERCAME FEAR
When I first had the vision to organize the Global Friendship Conference through The School of Friendship, I was filled with fear. I kept asking myself, "What if I organize it and no one comes? What if I don't get any sponsors? What if I step out in faith and everything goes differently from what I planned?"
For about a year, I wrestled with those thoughts. The vision remained in my heart, but fear kept me from taking action. Then I made a decision: I would step out in faith. I said to myself, "We're going to do this."
We gathered a few friends, worked together, and organized the conference. Looking back, I am grateful that I didn't allow fear to stop me. Taking that first step taught me that many of the fears we imagine never become reality.
If I had waited until I felt completely confident, the conference might never have happened. But by stepping out, I discovered that courage is not the absence of fear; it is choosing to move forward despite it.
Sometimes, the greatest opportunities in life are waiting on the other side of one courageous decision. And because we were able to do it, it became a stepping stone for us to organize The School Of Friendship @ 5 Anniversary.
When I decided to organize the Global Friendship Conference, I wasn't just planning an event; I was exploring a possibility.
I didn't know whether people would attend. I didn't know whether sponsors would support it. I didn't know whether it would succeed or fail. The only way to find out was to step out and try.
That is what exploration is. Exploration is venturing into places where you do not yet have all the answers.
It is being willing to test an idea, develop a gift, or pursue a vision, even when the outcome is uncertain.
If I had allowed fear to keep me from taking that step, I would never have discovered that I was capable of organizing a conference.
I would never have gained the experience, confidence, relationships, and lessons that came from that journey.
Purpose is often discovered through exploration, not merely through contemplation. You cannot discover everything God has placed within you while remaining in your comfort zone.
Some gifts, opportunities, and callings are revealed only after you are willing to step out in faith.
Sometimes, the only way to discover what God can do through you is to begin with what you already have and trust Him with the rest.
God told Abraham to leave his country without telling him exactly where he was going.
Abraham obeyed, and through that step of faith he became the father of many nations (Genesis 12:1–4). So you see, you don't always need the full plan before taking the first step.
Moses initially doubted himself and gave excuses, but he eventually obeyed God's call to confront Pharaoh.
By stepping out in faith, he fulfilled his purpose of leading Israel out of Egypt (Exodus 1–4). That is what happens: Purpose often begins where excuses end.
WILLIAM CAREY (1761–1834)
William Carey was an English shoemaker with a deep burden to take the gospel to people who had never heard it.
Many people thought his dream was unrealistic. He had little money, no missionary organization behind him, and faced criticism.
Yet he stepped out in faith and moved to India in 1793. Although he endured hardship, sickness, and personal loss, yet, he was able to:
• Translate the Bible into several Indian languages.
• Help establish schools.
• Promote education and social reform.
• Inspire the modern missionary movement.
If you keep waiting for perfect timing to discover purpose, you will wait forever. Sometimes your purpose begins when you leave the familiar and trust God with the unknown. So step out into your purpose with faith in God.
2. SERVICE – Volunteer and Support Others
The Bible says, "For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister..." (Mark 10:45)
Jesus Himself discovered and fulfilled His earthly mission through a life of serving.
One of the greatest pathways to discovering purpose is serving others. Many people find their calling while meeting someone else's need.
Service develops character, exposes hidden gifts, and teaches valuable lessons that cannot be learned in a classroom.
Volunteer in your church, community, school, workplace, or any organization where your time and talents can make a difference.
Offer your skills without always expecting recognition or reward. (Let me take this opportunity to thank Lordia, Emily, Bridget, and Gladys for serving with me in managing The School Of Friendship online. These people have been very helpful. That's volunteering.)
As you serve faithfully, you will begin to notice the areas where you are most effective and fulfilled. Often, your purpose is found where your gifts meet the needs of others.
DR. ALBERT SCHWEITZER (1875–1965)
Dr. Albert Schweitzer was already a respected theologian, musician, and university professor.
Yet he chose to study medicine so he could serve people in Africa.
He founded a hospital in Lambaréné (present-day Gabon) and spent much of his life caring for patients there.
Today, history remembers him not so much as a musician but as a medical missionary.
That's how it works. Sometimes serving others reveals a new direction for your life and expands your purpose. Don't limit your life.
MOTHER TERESA (1910–1997)
Mother Teresa was a teacher in a convent school before she felt called to serve the poorest people in Calcutta, India.
She left the comfort of teaching and began serving the sick, dying, and abandoned on the streets.
What started as a simple act of service grew into the Missionaries of Charity, an organization that now serves people in many countries.
She discovered the full extent of her calling by serving those in need. Service is a powerful tool for landing on your purpose. Learn to serve and volunteer.
3. STRETCHING – Do What You Have Never Done Before
The Bible says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)
Growth requires stretching. If you only do what you have always done, you will only know what you already know.
Purpose is often hidden behind new experiences that challenge your abilities and expand your perspective.
So, take on responsibilities that seem bigger than you. Learn to speak publicly if you have always been quiet.
Lead a team if you have always followed. Write if you have never written. Start a project, travel, teach, or explore a new ministry.
Every new experience reveals strengths, weaknesses, passions, and opportunities for growth.
Do not fear making mistakes. Every challenge stretches your capacity and prepares you for greater assignments.
MY EDITING JOURNEY
When I started publishing books in 2017, I wasn't the one editing them.
I had a professor friend on campus who kindly edited my first and second books.
When I completed my third book and took it to him, he said, "John, this time I won't edit it for you. Find someone else. It will give another person the opportunity to develop their skills."
So I asked another friend to help me. Unfortunately, along the way, circumstances changed and he was unable to continue with the editing.
At that point, I asked myself, "Why don't I learn to do it myself?"
I had never edited a book before, but I decided to stretch myself. I began learning, studying, and practicing.
I found software that could assist me, and with time I became more confident and skilled.
Today, I edit my own books and even edit and publish other people's books for them. I have developed an ability I never imagined I would have.
If I had never stretched myself by trying something new, I might never have discovered that I could become an editor.
Sometimes, God reveals new dimensions of your purpose only after you are willing to do something you have never done before.
Your greatest potential may be hidden behind your willingness to stretch beyond your comfort zone.
COLONEL HARLAND SANDERS
After losing his restaurant because a new highway bypassed it, Sanders could have retired.
Instead, at age 65, he stretched himself into a completely new role.
Rather than running one restaurant, he traveled across the country persuading restaurant owners to use his fried chicken recipe.
That bold step transformed him from a local cook into the founder of one of the world's largest restaurant chains - KFC.
Your greatest impact, sometimes, begins when you're willing to reinvent yourself.
Your current skills may qualify you for where you are, but the skills you are willing to learn may prepare you for where God is taking you.
4. SEARCHING – Keep Learning New Things
King Solomon advised, "An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge." (Proverbs 18:15, ESV)
Purpose is discovered by people who remain curious and teachable. Never stop learning.
Read books, study the Scriptures, attend seminars, listen to wise teachers, acquire new skills, and learn from the experiences of others.
Every new piece of knowledge expands your understanding of yourself and the world around you.
One book, one conversation, or one course can introduce you to the very area where God intends to use you.
A person who stops learning limits his or her opportunities for discovering purpose.
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
Benjamin Franklin had little formal education, yet he educated himself through reading, experimentation, and observation.
As he kept learning, he became:
- A printer
- A writer
- A scientist
- An inventor
- A diplomat
- A statesman
He never stopped searching for knowledge, and each new area of learning increased his ability to serve others. Eventually, he became a Founding Father of the United States.
Self-education can unlock opportunities you never imagined. All you have to do is keep searching for knowledge. Don't limit how far God can take you. Just keep growing by learning new things.
5. SEEKING – Seek God's Guidance Always
King Solomon writes, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart... and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5–6)
While exploration is important, it must always be guided by God. Purpose is ultimately God's design, not merely our personal ambition.
Therefore, every step of exploration should be accompanied by prayer and dependence on the Holy Spirit.
Ask God to open the right doors, close the wrong ones, and give you wisdom to recognize His leading.
Be sensitive to His voice through Scripture, prayer, godly counsel, and the inner witness of the Holy Spirit.
Exploration without God's direction can lead to distraction, but exploration under His guidance leads to destiny.
Remember, discovering your purpose is not just about finding something you enjoy; it is about finding what God created you to do.
CONCLUSION
Purpose is not discovered by accident but through intentional exploration.
As you step out in faith, serve others, stretch yourself beyond your limits, search for knowledge, and continually seek God's guidance, your purpose becomes progressively clearer.
Do not wait until you have every answer before you begin. Start with what God has placed in your hands today.
Every experience, every lesson, and every act of obedience is shaping you for the assignment He has prepared for you. Remember, exploration is not wandering; it is purposeful movement under God's direction.
As you faithfully explore the opportunities He places before you, He will gradually reveal the purpose for which He created you.
The Bible says, "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD" (Psalm 37:23). Walk those steps with courage, and trust Him to unfold His plan one step at a time.
Freely ask questions in the comment session in case there are any. Let's get interactive.
Thank you,
JOHN ARTHUR.
Author & President.
Check the following links to buy copies of my books.
1. The Friendship Of Samson And Delilah: Why You Should Avoid Bad Friends
2. The Friendship Of David And Jonathan: Why You Should Have True Friends
3. BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND: How To Love Yourself And Fulfill Your Purpose
4. Dating And Friendship: A New Model For A Lasting Love Relationship
5. BECOMING TRUE FRIENDS IN A TURBULENT WORLD (Friendship Today - Vol. 1)
6. CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS, DON'T LET YOUR FRIENDS CHOOSE YOU
7. Beware Of Bad Friends














